CURRENT CLINICAL RESEARCH
(i) Epidemiology of diabetes in urban South Africans Blacks – the Durban Diabetes Study (DDS) – a collaborative study with the University of Cambridge (UK)
- A genome-wide association study (GWAS) of type 2 diabetes mellitus susceptibility loci in African subjects of Zulu descent in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
- Human, Health and Hereditary in Africa (H3A) Diabetes Study: Burden, spectrum and aetiology of type 2 diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa.
B. Post graduate Research Supervision
PhD Students (x3)
- S. Saloojee: Metabolic syndrome and severe mental illness in the EThekwini district of KwaZulu – Natal, South Africa
- T.Thaane (Sports Science): Effects of high and moderate intensity exercise on inflammation and endothelial function in insulin resistance
- Dr. S.T.Mtshali: An impact and cost analysis of management of diabetes at quaternary level – the case of Inkosi Albert Luthuli central Hospital
MMed Students (x8)
4. K. El Mezughi: Pituitary tumours: A retrospective study of surgically treated patients attending the Endocrinology Clinic, Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital (IALCH) between 2008 – 2012.
5. A. Zorgani: A retrospective study of patients with Phaeochromocytoma attending the Endocrinology Clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital (IALCH).
6. Dr A Elbueshi: A retrospective study of patients with Acromegaly attending the Endocrinology Clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital (IALCH) between 2003 -2013.
7. Dr V. Jairam: Hypoglycaemia in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus on pharmacological treatment
8. Dr L. Mnikathi: The prevalence of depression in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital (IALCH) in Durban, South Africa.
9. P. Govender: A Retrospective Review of subjects with Diabetes Mellitus diagnosed before 35 years of age presenting to Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital from 2003 to 2016: Clinical, biochemical and immunological characteristics.
10. M.Z.Hoosen: A retrospective study of glycaemic control, morbidity and mortality in patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus attending the Diabetes Clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
11. MMedSci: Dr.I.M.Paruk: Low serum testosterone levels in urban South African men with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending two outpatient diabetes clinics in Durban
- Dr I.M. Paruk: Prevalence of coeliac disease and anti-thyroid peroxidase seropositivity in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- I.M.Paruk: A retrospective study of adult patients with spontaneous hypoglycaemia referred to Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital: aetiology, characteristics and treatment outcome