- Post-Doctoral Thesis (M.D) on “Impaired Glucose Tolerance in South African Indians”, Under supervision from Professor MAK Omar (1985-1990).
- Clinical Research Associate – University of Newcastle Upon Tyne: Research into Epidemiology of Diabetes in Migrant Chinese in Newcastle; studies on hepatic glucose output and glycerol gluconeogenesis in NIDDM (1991 – 1992).
- Epidemiology and pathogenesis of Diabetes Mellitus and its complications in South African Indians- cross-sectional and prospective studies (1984-1994)
- Epidemiology of diabetes in rural South Africans of Zulu (1999-2000)
Current research includes studies on epidemiology of diabetes and other non-communicable diseases (NCDs) in Africans, including a genome wide association study of type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci, through the African Partnership for chronic disease research (APCDR) (https://www.apcdr.org), as well as being Lead Principal Investigator for a multi-country African study on epidemiology and genetics of type 2 diabetes (H3Africa Diabetes study), and through supervision of Masters and PhD students, on clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes.
- Epidemiology of diabetes in urban South Africans Blacks – the Durban Diabetes Study (DDS)- a collaborative study with the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford (UK)
- A genome-wide association study (GWAS) of type 2 diabetes mellitus susceptibility loci in African subjects of Zulu descent in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, a collaborative study with the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford
- H3A Africa: Burden, spectrum and aetiology of type 2 diabetes in sub-Saharan
- Discover Me South Africa (DMSA): vide infra
POST GRADUATE RESEARCH SUPERVISION
- PhD Students Graduated Students:
- S. Saloojee: Metabolic syndrome and severe mental illness in the EThekwini district of KwaZulu – Natal, South Africa. Graduated March 2017
- N.C. Magula: Metabolic Complications of HAART in a South African Black Population.- PhD awarded March 15
- Tshidi Thaane: Effects of high and moderate intensity exercise on
inflammation and endothelial function in insulin resistance. PhD awarded June 2019
- Dr Sifiso T Mtshali: An impact and cost analysis of management of diabetes
at quaternary level-the case of Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital (Registered 2017)
- Dr Rudo Gwini: Diabetes mellitus and complications in a Zimbabwean hospital population in Bulawayo. (Registered 2018)
- MMed/MMed Sci Students Graduated Students:
- N. Narsai (2012): Radio-active Iodine in the management of Thyrotoxicosis (2012)
- K. El Mezughi (2017): Pituitary tumours: A retrospective study of surgically treated patients attending the Endocrinology Clinic, Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital (IALCH) between 2008 – 2012 – 2017
- Dr VG Naidoo. (MMedSci) (2017): Quality aspects of colonoscopy.
- A. Zorgani (2018): A retrospective study of patients with Phaeochromocytoma attending the Endocrinology Clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital (IALCH). Co-supervisor:
- Dr A Elbueshi(2018): A retrospective study of patients with Acromegaly attending the Endocrinology Clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital (IALCH) between 2003 -2013.
- Dr P Govender (2018): Characteristics of subjects with diabetes mellitus diagnosed before 35 years of age presenting to a tertiary Diabetes clinic in Durban, South Africa, from 2003 to 2016.
- Dr IM Paruk (MMedSci) (2018): Prevalence of low serum testosterone levels among men with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending two outpatient diabetes clinics in Durban, South Africa
- Dr MZ Hoosen (2020): A retrospective study of glycaemic control, morbidity and mortality in patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus attending the Diabetes Clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
- Dr V Koonjah: Diabetic kidney disease in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients attending the Diabetes clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital between January 2018
– December 2019 – A retrospective chart review
- Dr D Perumal: Dysglycaemia and HIV infection: analysis from a population study in urban black South Africans (Durban Diabetes Study).
- Dr K Govind: Clinical Characteristics, Management and Outcomes of Primary Hyperparathyroidism at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital from 2009 to 2020.
(iii) Non-Degree Supervision
- Dr M. Paruk: Prevalence of coeliac disease and anti-thyroid peroxidase seropositivity in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- I.M.Paruk: A retrospective study of adult patients with spontaneous hypoglycaemia referred to Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital: aetiology, characteristics and treatment outcome
COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH PROGRAMMES- CURRENT
- Human Health Heredity and Health in Africa (H3Africa): Burden, spectrum and aetiology of type 2 diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa. Lead PI of study at10
sites in 7 SSA countries.
- Durban Diabetes Study (DDS) and DDS Extension: Epidemiology of diabetes in urban South Africans Blacks, a collaborative study with the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford (Dr. Manj Sandhu, Prof. Mark McCarthy and teams)
- A genome wide association study (GWAS) of type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci in African subjects of Zulu descent in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal: in collaboration with the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford (Dr. Manj Sandhu, Prof. Mark McCarthy and teams)
- African Partnership for chronic disease research (APCDR)– in collaboration with Dr. Manj Sandhu and team at Cambridge University and includes the African Genome variation Project, HIV genomics, Hepatitis C and Diabetes
- The impact of diabetes on tuberculosis incidence and mortality in HIV- positive adults: in collaboration with the University of Washington (Drs. Paul Drain and Rachel Kubiak)
- Discover Me South Africa (DMSA) – in collaboration with Professor Manjinder Sandhu, Omnigen Biodata (UK), Imperial College, London, UK